Last Updated on
Bitter melon is one type of fruit that has a sour taste, though so many people loved bitter melon and made it become vegetable. We need to know that the sharp melon rich in nutrients. This bitter melon is very believed to have many health benefits. Also, the sour melon has nutrients that are beneficial for skin health problems. Bitter melon also has the substance of vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, amino acids, phosphorus, calcium, and beta-carotene. Furthermore, a sharp melon also has high antioxidant and very useful in repelling harmful free radicals, rich in natural fiber, minerals, vitamins and low in calories that is very beneficial for the health. It had been discovered by scientists too, that bitter melon can handle insulin resistance and can be useful for weight loss.
Here are some of the bitter melon substance per 100 grams :
- Calcium: 45 mg
- Carbohydrates: 6.6 g
- Energy: 29 cal
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Iron: 1.4 mg
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Phosphorus: 64 mg
- Vitamin A: 180 IU
- Vitamin B1: 0.08 mg
- Vitamin C: 52 mg
- Water: 91.2 g
Bitter melon benefits
- Bitter melon is extremely useful for preventing cancer. It has proved by research conducted which revealed that bitter melon is rich in antioxidant compounds and effective in inhibiting the growth of pancreatic cancer cells. For that, drinking bitter melon juice on a daily basis may help in inhibiting cancer cell growth up to 60%.
- Bitter melon is also beneficial for skin health and skin problems such as oily skin, acne, prevent aging and other skin problems. The way is by using a mask of bitter melon. Vitamins in this fruit are beneficial for healthy skin and protecting the skin from ultraviolet that can do damage to the surface.
- Eating bitter melon also very useful in treating diabetes. Bitter melon is hypoglycemic which can serve to lower the blood sugar levels, so it is suitable to treat diabetes. Bitter melon is also very safe if eaten for long-term. It is also useful to cut the side effect of chemical medication which can harm if consumed too much.
- Bitter melon has a health benefit for the diet program as a way to lose weight because of the bitter melon low in calories and saturated fat, so it is perfect to be used as supplementary food in the diet.
- Bitter melon can treat respiratory disease such as asthma because bitter melon has a bitter taste that can raise taster cells in the respiratory tract to be able to move more fully. So the respiratory tract can work better and make smooth air circulation.
- For those of you who just got out of hospital will usually feel bitter when eating any food. You don’t have to be worry because by eating bitter melon can restore sensory organs on the tongue so that it’ll return to normal.
- Bitter melon also can aid the digestive tract such as constipation and diarrhea. Bitter melon has natural fiber that is very efficacious in digesting food.
- Bitter melon is very useful to prevent and get rid of acne, because of vitamin C can act as an antioxidant that can block and kill bacteria that cause acne. Acne is produced by excess oil gland, which can lead to blockages in the skin pores and makes a pimple. Therefore, bitter melon can lift the dirt and dead skin cells that can lead to acne growth. Besides, bitter melon is also useful for reducing the excess oil.
- Apply a bitter melon that has mashed on the skin bitten by insects immediately. Within a few minutes, rashes and itchy bumps will disappear.
- Bitter melon helpful to accelerate the wound healing process on the skin. By eating bitter melon routine, it will heal faster.
Bitter melon side effects
- Bitter melon has many health benefits, but don’t take it in excessive amounts; it can cause diarrhea and stomach ache. You need advice from a doctor before taking any medications or supplements with the bitter melon compound.
- Hypoglycemia is glucose shortage condition in the blood to the brain. Bitter melon has affected to glucose levels, so for people with hypoglycemia should not take bitter melon.
- People with hepatitis or cirrhosis history should also avoid eating bitter melon.
While there’s a lot of bitter melon benefits, before you use it, you have to pay attention to your health condition. Bitter melon should not be eaten by people who tend low blood sugar levels. Bitter melon also should not be consumed by pregnant women. Well, these are the health benefits of bitter melon. Hope you have luck and suitable to use it for your health.