Persimmon fruit is actually consists of many varieties, such as Japanese persimmon, Black persimmon, America persimmon, India persimmon, etc. Basically persimmon fruit has a sweet taste, but some specific varieties have a sweeter taste like the Japanese persimmon. Persimmon is the fruit name given to several different fruit species from the family of fruits with the scientific name ‘diospyros‘. Although the most popular version of this fruit originally came from China, but it is now spread to all parts of the world over the last few hundred years, and similar species have been found in other parts of the world. From all types of persimmon fruit found throughout the world, but basically has the same health benefits as fiber and organic compounds are not uncommon.
Persimmon has a lot of health benefits besides sweet and delicious. It’s very useful to improve eye health, reducing the signs of aging, prevent various types of cancer, gastrointestinal health, boost the immune system, lower cholesterol, improve metabolism, strengthen bones, improve cognitive function , lowering blood pressure, and skin health. In addition, the persimmon fruit can also help to lose weight, reduce inflammation and improve blood circulation.
Persimmons can be eaten fresh, dried, or cooked, although the taste may change, but generally sweet and mushy. You should let persimmon fruit completely cooked before consumption to fully soft and sweet.
Persimmon health benefits
Persimmon fruit has many health benefits, it is due to the high content of vitamins and minerals, as well as some unusual organic compounds. Including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin B6, and fiber, manganese, copper, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus. Organic compounds that may be the most important part, including catechins, gallocatechins, betulinic acid, and a variety of carotenoid compounds from vitamin B complex.
- Antioxidant properties in persimmon are useful to prevent cancer, to boost the immune system. Persimmon has ascorbic acid (vitamin C), and can meet about 80% of the daily need of these nutrients. Vitamin C is helping to stimulate the body immune system and increases the white blood cells. This blood cells are very important to fight against microbes, viruses, and fungal infections.
- Consuming persimmon fruit is very effective in keeping the immune system to avoid the various seasonal diseases like cough, cold and flu. In addition, the antioxidant content in persimmon fruit able to ward off the attack of free radicals that can slow the growth of cancer cells in the body.
- Like other fruits, persimmons are also good source of fiber, which has almost 20% of the daily need. Fiber will help the digestive to process food better. Fruit in high fiber such as persimmon can be a major to boost the digestive system performance, and may protect against cancer. Persimmon also can help to lose weight, that is by helping lipids absorption, which can result in obesity.
- Persimmon fruit has fiber which can be beneficial to keep up ideal body weight, because the fiber content can help digestion so that the fats in the intestine can be broken down and pushed out through the sewer.
- Choline substance in the persimmon fruit can be beneficial for maintaining the health of the brain, which can prevent Alzheimer’s disease. In addition, eating persimmon fruit has benefit to keep up memory function in the brain and maintaining awareness.
- Some of the compounds in the persimmon fruit also proved beneficial for eye health. Zeaxanthin, which is a member of the vitamin B complex, is directly related to improving the health of the eye due to its nature as antioxidants. Studies show that Zeaxanthin can cut macular degeneration, cataracts, and night blindness.
- Persimmon has pyridoxine that can be useful to cut edema or water retention that can result in swelling in the limbs such as hands and feet that usually common in pregnant women. Additionally, the efficacy of persimmon fruit can also be useful for preventing hair loss, nourish and care for hair health.
- Potassium content in persimmon fruit, can lower high blood pressure to prevent the risk of stroke and heart disease.
- Persimmon has riboflavin that has the advantage to increase metabolism in increasing energy, increases red blood cells production, keep up nerve function, prevent Alzheimer’s disease, epilepsy and multiple sclerosis.
- Consuming persimmon fruit after recovering from illness can help restore stamina, this is due to the high content of vitamin C that increases stamina can be quickly recovered.
- Persimmon fruit has a high content of zinc, so it is beneficial in preventing health problems such as memory loss, cough, flu, osteoporosis, maintaining healthy bones and teeth, impaired vision. In addition, the persimmon fruit can also be used for beauty care such as preventing and get rid of acne, smoothing the skin, prevent aging, and other skin problems.
Persimmon nutrition per 100 g
- Choline 7.6mg 1.5%
- Folates 8 mg 2%
- Niacin 0100 mg 1%
- Pyridoxine 0.100 mg 7.5%
- Rioflavin 0.020 mg 1.5%
- Thiamin 0,030 mg 2.5%
- Vitamin C 7.5 mg 12.4%
- Vitamin E 0.73 mg 5%
- Vitamin K 2.6 mg 2%
- Sodium 1 mg 0%
- Potassium 161 mg 2.5%
- Β-Carotene 253 mg
- Carotene-α 0 mg
- Crypto-xathin-β 1,447 mg
- Lutein-zeaxanthin 834 mg
- Lycope 159 mg
- Calcium 8 mg 0.8%
- Copper 0.113 mg 12.5%
- Iron 0.15 mg 2%
- Magnesium 9 mg 2%
- Manganese 0.355 mg 15%
- Phosphorus 17 mg 4.5%
- Zinc 0.11 mg 1%
By eating 1 persimmon fruit each day is proven to prevent blood vessel hardening. The fruit is able to keep blood pressure does not pass through the normal threshold. Healthy blood vessels and stable blood pressure, it means the body health will also well-preserved.