Brown rice is better than white rice. It is a common fact known to almost everyone. Even so, many people still choose white rice because of the taste and appearance. It’s true that white rice seems more delicious than brown rice, but that does not mean you need to ignore the benefits of brown rice. Brown rice is also often used to feed birds and chickens.
According to a study conducted by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, brown rice is the best source of the best carbohydrate based on nutrition and other health benefits. Why is brown rice good for you? Brown rice, unlike white rice, still has rice husks on its side, so the cooking time is longer. This will make it easier to digest.
Rice husks in brown rice contain lots of protein, thiamine, calcium, magnesium, fiber, and potassium. For those of you who want to lose weight or for those who suffer from diabetes, brown rice can help because it has a low glycemic level to reduce insulin spikes.
On the other side, white rice has been enriched with various nutrients. This is natural because white rice loses iron, vitamins, zinc, magnesium, and some other nutrients during the process so manufacturers have to add synthetic nutrients instead. However the nutrition in white rice still has not reached the minimum limit of daily nutritional needs.
Brown rice benefits weight loss
Here are some benefits of brown rice which makes it a better choice than white rice.
- The fiber content in brown rice keeps the bowel function intact because the fiber makes the digestion process much more smoothly. Brown rice is also able to make you feel full longer.
- Brown rice is rich in natural oils that can help stabilize cholesterol levels.
- Brown rice contains a lot of selenium which reduces the risk of diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, and arthritis.
- A bowl of brown rice can provide 80% of the daily needs of manganese. Manganese helps the body synthesize body fat and also helps the nervous system as well as reproduction.
- Brown rice husks do not lose the entire section; red rice is whole-grain foods. This food is proven to reduce arterial plaque and reduce the risk of heart disease and high cholesterol.
- Brown rice can help prevent colon cancer because of the fiber content.
- Brown rice cereal is the best choice for babies because it contains nutrients and fiber.
- Brown rice also contains antioxidants like vegetables.
How to cook brown rice
How to cook brown rice is quite different from cooking white rice. But cooking brown rice is not difficult and hassle, as long as you know the right way to keep it delicious to eat and not lose its nutritional content. The fiber content in brown rice is great for those who want to lose weight or just to maintain the digestive system. Brown rice is delicious enough to eat like regular rice.
- The time to cook brown rice is a bit longer than cooking white rice. The water needed is also more. This is because the fiber content of red rice is quite high.
- You better not use rice cooker because it can make red rice become more solid. You better use the manual way with the stove and the last step steamed.
- To make it softer, you can soak the rice first for about half an hour.
- If the water used to boil brown rice is gone, then the sign of rice is half-cooked. Half cooked rice then steamed in a cage. Previously, boil water in the cage first to make it quickly.
- Generally ½ cup of brown rice requires 1 ¼ cup of water.
When cooking, try not to stir frequently. Too often stirring can release starch content in rice. This will make the rice so mushy even pulp like porridge. Set a small fire, because if it is too big, the water so quickly run out. By practicing the correct way of cooking brown rice, you will get delicious red rice to eat.